Alumnae and Friends
PWSE Alumnae and friends provide invaluable support to PWSE by sharing the time, talents and expertise in various PWSE programs and initiatives. Listed below are some of the ways that STEM professionals have connected with our programs in the past.
- Presenting sessions or leading hands-on activities related to their discipline at the Taking the Road Less Traveled Career Conferences for 6-12 grade girls (happens 6 times a year).
- Serving as 'panel members' for sessions offered throughout the year on issues such as 'balancing career and family' 'differences between undergrad and grad school in STEM', etc.
- Facilitating sessions on various professional development topics for students (e.g. leadership styles, communication skills, dealing with difficult people, exploring international opportunities, resume writing, career fair networking, etc.)
- Networking with undergraduate learning community students at various functions: dinners, 'mocktail socials', etc.
- Allowing undergraduate students to interview or job shadow them in their work place.
- Organizing tours/visits of their facilities for students
- Donating to PWSE to support all aspects of the PWSE programming (pre-college outreach, recruitment, community building, scholarships, and retention.)
If you are interested in getting involved with PWSE please feel free to contact any of the following staff members:
- To get involved with K-12 outreach programs/students: contact Carol Heaverlo, 294-5883, email@example.com
- To get involved with programs for undergraduate or transfer students: contact Allie Rowe, 294-5278, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or feel free to contact Lora Leigh Chrystal, Director with any questions, 294-4317, email@example.com
You can also complete the program interest survey to let us know how you would like to get involved with PWSE.
Alumnae and Friends – Interest Survey
- Being listed in the PWSE Role Model Directory as a potential resource person for PWSE (or other programs across the state of Iowa). PWSE uses this listing to help identify STEM women who can serve as speakers, people for K-12 students to job shadow, etc.