Strategic Plan 2012-2016
The Program for Women in Science and Engineering (PWSE) will enrich science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields by engaging more women, creating the opportunity for a more competitive and diverse state, national, and global workforce.
Create awareness, provide opportunities, serve as a resource, and engage people at Iowa State University, across Iowa and beyond to enhance the STEM educational experience for women.
- Create awareness about the opportunities for women in STEM.
- Provide innovative outreach and undergraduate opportunities for a diverse audience of women and girls to explore and succeed in STEM education.
- Serve as a resource on innovative strategies, best practices, and research on the success of women in STEM.
- Engage and lead a broad range of individuals and organizations in transforming the STEM educational experience for women.
- people as individuals;
- integrity and accountability;
- continuous learning;
- leadership; and
- excellence in all we do.
- Maintain the high quality and effectiveness of PWSE programs
- Increase student success by focusing on the needs of undergraduate women pursuing STEM degrees during their first two years at Iowa State.
- Engage and address the needs of an increasingly diverse population of students in PWSE outreach programs
- Raise awareness, disseminate knowledge, and engage others in support of women in STEM
- Provide leadership to transform cultures and support the success of women in STEM.
PWSE embraces Iowa State University’s land-grant heritage by being responsive to the needs of our students and stakeholders throughout the state of Iowa. PWSE has a strong reputation for collaborating and developing innovative programs based on formative and summative assessments. We accomplish our mission with honesty, integrity, and professional ethics. PWSE will continue to capitalize on these strengths over the next five years to realize the goals of this strategic plan.